Friday, July 31, 2020

Nobody ever asks you if you're wearing pants: Job Hunt Frustrations, 2020

One of the big frustrations of job hunting in 2020: needing four different kinds of online meeting programs.  Yeah, four.  In the last few months, I've been offered interviews using:
  • Zoom;
  • Skype for Business;
  • Microsoft Teams*; and
  • Google Meets.
I don't find much difference between online interviews and in-person interviews.  Sure, eye contact is nice.  A better impression is a greater possibility.  But wow, it's so much easier online.  No travel, no parking, no uncomfortably waiting to be called in.  I'll bet the interviewers find it more comfortable, too.

Still, one must maintain one's professionalism.  I always wear a suit and tie, even though I'm sitting in my own kitchen or living room.  And yes, I said suit.  Jacket and matching pants, or at least khakis, if I'm wearing my blue jacket.  

You've seen the videos.  People who thought they could get away with boxers, but didn't.  I do enough stupid things, thank you very much.  I'm not risking that. 

And yet, I'm tempted.  It's so tempting.  Jeans, at least.  Just put on some jeans!  

But no, no, I want this job, and these people are professionals.  So I go what - in 2020 - feels like the extra mile, and I put on pants.  I even put on appropriate shoes and socks.  Just in case.

Is it so wrong of me to wish that, just once, somebody would ask me to prove it?

*My Microsoft Teams interview was changed to a phone interview a few days prior, so I've never actually used that one.  Almost, though.

No comments:

Post a Comment