Saturday, May 9, 2020

Have I already screwed up my garden?

Call me crazy, but I have this idea about planting my own barley. My own barley, my own hops. Brewing some beer with only the things I grow or collect.

Just one gallon of beer. I'm not crazy.

The barley's going to be the really hard part. Growing hops, from what I understand, is easy. Collecting yeast, which you'd think would be the hard part, is easy. I've done that already. Water? There's a river nearby. I'll strain it and boil it.

But malting barley, that's going to be hard. The thing is, before I can malt the barley, I have to grow the barley. So one week ago today, I did this:




Four furrows, into which I placed barley seed, and covered it up. Prior to that, I tilled the area once, added some nice old mulch, tilled again, added some of this dried manure you can buy at Farm&Fleet, and tilled it a third time. I've watered it three times since planting, just a little each time. You're not supposed to give it a ton of water, and it's been my experience that a little can go a long way.

That was a week ago. Should I be seeing shoots already? Because I'm not.

Now, as I write this, it's nine o'clock on Saturday morning. I haven't been outside yet. It's entirely possible that, later today, I'll notice some little plants starting to poke their precious little heads out of the ground.

But so far, nothing. So. Am I being impatient? Did I cover them too deep? Are my seeds bad?

Am I just a rotten, rotten gardener with no hope of ever making his own beer with his own ingredients?

I might be less impatient if I wasn't already afraid for my hops plants. I know what I said before. Hops are supposed to be easy. But one of them looks really, really bad. I'll take some pictures later. I started them in pots - one Cascade rhizome, one Centennial rhizome, which, I know, I probably should have gotten two of the same kind - and they started to grow after a few days.

A week ago, I had one shoot of about 6-8 inches out of each. There were other shoots, too, but those were the biggest and strongest. So I transplanted them into the garden.

That's when the Centennial started to wilt, and it hasn't gotten better. Its leaves are gone now - did something eat them? - and I've about given up on that shoot. There might be others.

Anyway, that's where I'm at with the garden.

tl;dr:

Barley not growing yet after a week in the ground; one hops plant looking sick and weak a week after transplanting it into the garden. Updates to follow.

No comments:

Post a Comment